Do you wonder what plants are poisonous to cats or those that are safe?
Most cats are very wary of eating anything unusual, which means plant poisoning cases taken to the vets are rare. When a cat does become unwell, it is usually because something has brushed on their fur or paws, which they have then ingested while grooming.
Symptoms of Poisoning:
Depending on the plant species that has been ingested, the early signs and symptoms of poisoning can vary greatly.
Irritants may cause symptoms such as: irritation around the mouth, itchiness, swelling, and red or watery eyes.
If your cats' organs have been affected by ingesting a toxic plant, symptoms of poisoning may include: breathing difficulties, drooling, difficulty swallowing, drinking a lot, frequent urination, overall weakness, or irregular heartbeat. Gastrointestinal symptoms of poisoning may include: vomiting and diarrhea.
To find our list of safe and unsafe plants visit: https://www.cats.org.uk/media/10320/cats-and-outdoor-plants.pdf