With Wimbledon on the horizon what could be more appropriate than a delicious Victoria Sponge, kindly sent to us by Tim Brooks!
350g self-raising flour
220g granulated sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1tsp baking soda
350ml plant based milk
1tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 to 3 tsp vanilla extract
110g vegan margarine
220g icing sugar
• Prepare 2 x 20cm round baking tins, smear with vegan marg or butter and line with baking paper.
• Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
• In main mixing bowl mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking soda.
• Then add your plant based milk, vinegar and 2 tsp vanilla.
• Mix well until a firm mixture, but not too sloppy... add more flour if so.
• Divide mixture between the two baking tins.
• Place tins in oven for around 30 mins, test with a knife – if clean it’s ready!
• Remove cake halves carefully from tins, remove paper and allow to cool totally.
• To make vegan buttercream: melt the vegan margarine on the hob in a saucepan and add to icing sugar, mix well and add ½ teaspoon of Vanilla Extract. Mix till a firm mixture – add more icing sugar if too ‘runny’ till its firm.
• Spread Icing onto one side of a cake half and Strawberry Jam on other half when cake is totally cooled.
• Place halves together carefully.
• Sieve dry icing sugar onto top of the completed cake. Enjoy!